Election Commission

17763 S. Muskogee Ave Tahlequah, OK 74464

Frequently Asked Questions

Common Questions and Answers

ls a tribal citizenship card (blue card) all you need to register to vote?

No, you must complete a voter registration application and return it to the Cherokee Nation Election Commission. After your application is processed, you will be a registered voter for the Cherokee Nation Tribal Elections. To be eligible to vote in the General Election, you must be registered by the last business day in March at midnight CST prior to the General Election.

How do I know if I am registered to vote?

If you are unsure if you are registered to vote in the Cherokee Nation Elections, you may contact the Cherokee Nation Election Commission.

Where can I get a voter registration application?

You can pick up a voter registration application from the Cherokee Nation Election Commission Office, contact the office to have it mailed or emailed, print it off of our website, or attend a community or services meeting.

What are the basic requirements to register to vote?

The person shall be a citizen of the Cherokee Nation and 18 years of age or older on or prior to the date of any General Election.

How can I vote?

Voters residing within the jurisdictional boundaries may vote at their selected precinct, early walk-in voting, or by absentee ballot. At Large voters may only vote by absentee ballot or early walk-in voting.

What is a precinct?

A precinct is an official voting place within a district, as designated by the Cherokee Nation Election Commission.

Can I pick where I vote?

Voters who reside in the jurisdictional boundaries may select a precinct in the district where their residence is located. At Large voters may only vote by absentee ballot or early walk-in voting on the dates provided. Voters who reside outside the jurisdictional boundaries, registering for the first time and under the age of 25 may select the district and precinct of your choice.